Our Chapter History
|“The Charity League” was founded in Los Angeles in 1925 by a few dedicated women interested in philanthropic service to their community. Their many activities included Red Cross tasks of making layettes for needy babies and the assembling of food baskets for distribution to the poor at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Several daughters assisted their mothers with these projects. The original group included the mother and aunt of Mrs. Paul William Lawrence, who later became the founder of National Charity League.
In 1936, two hundred of the daughters formally organized and chose the name “Ticktocker”. On April 10, 1942, Mrs. Lawrence registered the name “The Charity League” in Sacramento. The League was dormant during World War II but in 1946 was reactivated. At that time, the girls and their mothers sent five hundred pounds of clothing to war victims in England, Holland and Belgium, and participated in a variety of local philanthropic endeavors. Similar mother-daughter groups in other communities were considering joining the league concept. On January 20, 1947, the league was reorganized under the name “National Charity League”. Mrs. Lawrence became the first president and served in that office from 1947 – 1950. The original Ticktocker daughters were of high school and college age. On September 10, 1947, National Charity League was incorporated as a non-profit corporation organized solely for the social, cultural and philanthropic purposes. In Los Angeles, members purchased “Ticktocker House” as the first NCL thrift shop and toy loan center as well as providing space for local youth groups. The 1958 articles of incorporation were filed for “National Charity League, Inc.” which paved the way for the league’s national significance. The South Coast Chapter was the twelfth national chapter founded in 1961 and Mrs. Voler Viles was the first chapter President.National Charity League, Inc. now has 216 chapters in 25 states with more than 58,000 total members. All chapters embrace the philosophy of strengthening the mother-daughter relationship through philanthropic work. We may all be proud of our legacy and grateful to that small group of women in 1925. For more information about NCL, Inc., please visit the national website at www.nationalcharityleague.org.